Wednesday, September 30, 2009

patience

I've noticed that I have far less patience during night shifts than I do during day shifts. It could be because I'm awake at a time when I should be sleeping, or b/c my patients are awake and needing things at a time they should be sleeping. Either way these last 2 nights have been particularly difficult. I'm pretty sure my patient assignment contributed. I had 2 incontinent, massive patients who cannot move on their own (one of whom is Spanish speaking only, which gets really old and really frustrating when she does not understand or speak one single word of English). But my other patient was the worst. I walked in there and this was our first encounter:

Me: "Hi Mr. J, my name is Nikki and I'm gonna be your nurse tonight."
Patient: "Yeah. I've been waiting... Look. before you do anything or give me any of those meds, this is what is going to happen. You need to get me my 3 PhosLo pills."
Me: "Ok, well Mr. J, you can only take those pills with meals, and you're actually not supposed to be eating. You're NPO because you have a proce----
Patient: "No. I dont care, I'm eating damn dinner. So just get me my pills and when you come back you can help me change out of this gown, get back into bed, and you need to empty all my drains. But I'm going to eat my damn dinner."

...lovely. And of course all you can do is smile at them and do the best to accommodate. I dont ask for much from my patients, just some effort and a little pleasantness. I understand being in a hospital sucks but you're not there to get pampered, you're there to get better. I have no problem helping you do something you clearly have difficulty doing. But, if you're going to demand stupid shit from me (me, your nurse, aka the person who brings you pain medication) like pulling the blankets over you when you're capable of doing it yourself, OR if you're going to ask for my help wiping your own ass (b/c yes, the next thing he needed me to do was literally wipe his ass) then you better F-ing ask me nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment