Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

To be honest I completely forgot that today was Sept. 11 until I opened my computer this morning to check my email and get on Facebook. Its hard to believe all this happened 8 years ago. I still remember walking in first to my Anthropology class where my teacher was freaking out about something. We had no idea what was going on but we were herded into our gym to listen to some announcement. I had no family in NY so I don't think the reality of it all hit me until I was sitting on our field hockey field waiting for my dad to pick me up. I'll never forget sitting at that spot and being able to see the Pentagon and all the smoke coming from it.

Reading all the articles of people making a difference in the world is touching and heartwarming, but at the same time it makes me feel so bad that I've done nothing with my life. I know countless people who are currently in the military and serving our country overseas and I have another friend who just joined the Navy 2 months ago. But I don't just mean making a difference in relation to 9/11 or serving in the military. So many people make changes in the world everyday, and this kid did it by the age of 16 (he was the feature story on CNN.com today). Sigh, I think all these stories combined with what today means for us has made me wish I had something more extraordinary to say for myself, you know?

1 comment:

  1. You're a nurse. And if saving lives doesn't count, I don't know what does. In my book, you've done plenty.

    ReplyDelete