Saturday, September 12, 2009

Can't Sleep...

I always have a hard time sleeping before my 2nd night shift. You would think that after working all through the night last night, I'd be exhausted and sleep all day, but apparently my body just wants to torture me. Today, though, I think part of the reason I can't sleep is that at midnight we switch over to our online charting system. At 12:01am we will start charting assessments online, I's & O's, our Medication sheets will be online, labs will be printed from a hand-held printer, etc. etc. I realize that in reality Georgetown is behind the times since we haven't switched to a computerized system yet, so it is pretty exciting that we're finally doing that, but its also very intimidating to learn all this stuff. I took the class a month ago and haven't really practiced using the system since then, so I can barely remember how to do anything we learned. And lets be honest, what is the likelihood of this system "Going Live" and working perfectly? Georgetown apparently hired 70 travelers just to cover the floors and have extra staff around while we're in transition. It's pretty intense and as if our shifts aren't busy enough as it is, now its gonna take twice as long to get everything done while we figure out how to use the computers. I'm actually kind of dreading having to work tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment