Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The joys of orientation

Okay, I'm sorry, but orientation was a gigantic waste of time in my mind. I have worked at GUH for 3 years now, I could probably give hospital orientation. I pointed out when one of the speakers provided the wrong information. Now, I can understand them wanting me to go to nursing orientation. But again, after working there first as a secretary, then a tech, and 2 months as a student nurse, there was zero - and I literally mean zero - information that I did not already know. 24 hours of guest speakers, lectures, powerpoints and not one new thing. A few things I did figure out though:

- I do not want to be in a classroom again any time soon
- Students (esp. brown-nosing, overachieving nursing students) are annoying
- I greatly appreciate any speaker who can get their point across in less than 20 minutes.
- I am proud to say that I work at Georgetown.
- Julie Andrews is probably the cutest woman ever (our patient advocate, not the celebrity. Although, I am a fan of the celebrity as well)

Wise words from Julie Andrews:
"After the age of 12, people dont change their behavior."
"Everyone's entitled to a bad day. ...Except if you work in health care."

No comments:

Post a Comment