Friday, July 17, 2009

Hazing

I'm aware that when you start at a new job you're at the bottom of the totem pole and some people may give you crap for being the "newbie." Our floor is absolutely nothing like that. Everyone is more than happy to help you and teach you - it is a fabulous working environment and I couldnt imagine a better place to start. Apparently our night tech, however, is not so much a fan of me being a nurse and likes to give me a hard time. What she forgets is that I may be a new nurse, but I am by no means new to my unit. I used to be the secretary - aka I practically ran the unit, so I'm somewhat familiar with how things work.

A little background: Ivonne is our night shift tech (probably in her mid-30s) and she has been going to nursing school since before I started working on 6 Bles (which is over 3 years now). She has a reputation for being unbelievably lazy while at work (reason #1 I never really got along with her to begin with). Now, she is amazing at drawing blood and putting in IVs but that is literally all she is good for. She never helps with patients, she never gets vitals done on time, and all she does is sit on the computer. I ask her to do something for me, she just glares at me and reluctantly agrees, or she'll come up with some bullshit excuse to not do it. The other night, she just didnt do vital signs on one of my patients. My other patient was incontinent and needed to be cleaned up probably once an hour and she didnt clean her once. This morning one of my patients needed labs drawn and a new IV, and she just decided to not do the IV, just the blood draw. I dont know what the deal is, but she's totally giving me a hard time and hazing me. And if you know me at all, you know that I dont put up with shit like this so these next couple months of orientation should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment