Friday, November 13, 2009

Stick 'em.

Usually when we need to draw blood from patients we ask the techs to do it because they have more down time during the day thus they're typically better at it. Now that I'm not a tech anymore, I dont get as much practice, so this morning when it was time to draw morning labs, I had 3 patients I needed to stick for blood, all of whom are really hard sticks. And I got all 3 of them! I was super excited. Plus one of them needed to get stuck twice for 2 different sets of labs and I was still able to get all the blood! I know that doesnt seem exciting and I remember in nursing school my professor said, "Getting an IV, drawing blood, thats a basic skill. Everyone can do it. No one should be getting excited about a blood draw." ...Bullshit, professor. Come work on my floor where every single patient is a hard stick b/c their veins are completely shot from having to draw blood multiple times a day. On one of the patients this morning, I drew his blood from a tiny little vein that popped out over the knuckle of his right thumb. Is that the ideal spot? Nope. Did it hurt? Probably, but it was the only vein I saw. Did I still get the blood in one stick? Fuck yeah.

Thats all. I'm just super excited about my lab draw luck this morning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment