Wednesday, November 25, 2009

My First Code!

I took part in my first code today!! Having worked in the hospital for over 3 years, I've been on the floor during a good number of codes, but now being a nurse I actually was able to take part and really see what happens and how it's run. I didnt run it and it wasnt my patient, but still it was pretty exciting! Ok, I realize that in all honesty, the fact that we had to even run a code, sucks. But being a new nurse it was really intense and really exciting. I've realized though that I def need more practice in order to feel comfortable and confident. (Guess its a good thing I'm taking ACLS in a couple weeks!) I was so flustered when they were asking me for supplies that I felt like I was taking forever. But in the end it all worked out fine, all the nurses were helping out and we all worked together. They intubated the patient on the floor and transferred him down to the ICU. It all happened so fast. We called the code at 1800 and the patient was rolling off the floor by 1825. Intense. I would love to be part of a code response team or even do something like trauma. I find that stuff so fascinating (um, has anyone watched the show Trauma?? I've moved on from Mercy, mainly because the drama is too getting to be too much. But Trauma = awesome! I seriously want to BE Nancy!) But I dont think I'd be very good at it, to be completely honest. As much as I like the excitement, and adrenaline rush, and as much as I love to stay busy, I can get overwhelmed somewhat easily. More than anything I just want the knowledge, capability, and the confidence that comes with working in that field.

No comments:

Post a Comment