Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Today

Today I worked a 14-hour day, barely had time to sit down to eat lunch, and yet again did not have time to realize that I hadn't peed all day long. (Seriously bladder, I'm sorry. Please please please dont get infected.) But today I dont care. Because today I took care of Mrs. G. Mrs. G has been on our floor for 7 weeks waiting for a liver transplant. I doubt any of you have seen what End Stage Liver Disease looks like, but its awful. 2 weeks ago we weren't even sure she'd ever make it. But today was her first day back from the ICU following a liver transplant! And she looked fantastic. Still a little slow moving, but that's expected. I didnt even care that I had to change her diaper almost every 2 hours because she hasnt regained control of her bladder yet. Seeing the color back in her face, hearing her finally able to joke around, and just seeing her in much better spirits made it SO worth it. Seeing her come out of this has been so emotional for everyone on our staff, we've been rooting for her to get a transplant for so long. I was so happy I got to be her nurse and teach her and take care of her today. So I dont care that today our secretary was extremely lazy; I dont care about how the ICU is ridiculous. Today I dont even care that I'm going to have to come back to work in 2 days and spend Christmas working at the hospital with less than adequate staffing. I dont care. Because today Mrs. G reminded me why I do what I do. Today I remembered just how much I really LOVE being a nurse.

AND, I also found out that a friend's mom who has been battling cancer for the last 6 months is now cancer free!

So, I'd say that TODAY has been a GREAT day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment